Wegner CH22 chairs get new seats

CH22-1I recently redid a pair of these Wegner CH22 chairs.  The seat on this one wasn’t too bad but the other one had the typical broken strands along the front rail.  The wood on both had been treated with some kind of tinted furniture polish that left it blotchy and dull.

CH22-2This may actually be the other of the two, I’m not sure!  The wood on the back is more even in tone now, though it looks pretty dark here (probably due to lighting).  I think people use those tinted polishes to get their furniture to match other furniture in the room.  Gah.

CH22-3A broken strand or two opens a gap like this.

CH22-4Paint is hard to get out.  Maybe impossible.

CH22-5While I really like the patina of old Danish cord in good condition, I think fresh new cord looks really stunning on a vintage chair.

CH22-6Wegner chairs with cord seats often have small slots at the arm posts and/or back spindles where you have thread the cord through instead of wrapping it around the entire frame.  This requires very accurate weaving because it diminishes the margin of error by a lot.  The slots are always the width of a specific number of strands.  I love the precision of it.

CH22-7The back of the seat has this very handsome detail that makes it impossible to use a shuttle when weaving, so the whole process takes longer.  But it’s so beautiful!

This entry was posted in Danish chairs, mid-century modern, Woven Danish paper cord and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Wegner CH22 chairs get new seats

1. Tennekka says:

Are you selling these? They are gorgeous!!

2. M J Messeder says:

I have 4 rosewood dining room chairs that need to have new cord replacing old rotten cord on seats. Purchased at Scan back in the 80’s. Can you do this ? Price quote

3. Amit regev says:

I have 2 Hans wagner rocking chairs without eny ropes (all broken) which i want to restore . you made an emazing job on the chairs shown.
    can you contact me for pricing a repair.
    since i live in Israel we will have to consider shipping as well.

Sorry, I do not do any shipping at all. There are other places in the US who do, though, so I’m sure you can find someone. Good luck!

4. Marcel Van der Schueren says:

I have 8 Moller chiars with paper cord seats.
    6 chair seats have broken ropes and I want to repare them. where can I buy Dhanish paper cord, 3 plys, unlaced and to delivery in Belgium?

Thanks

Marcel

I think there are some dealers in the UK who sell paper cord online and you may have some luck contacting some of the furniture factories in Denmark. It may even be available in Belgium somewhere. Good luck in your Google searching.