vintage Shaw-Walker office chair

This office chair dates to the 50s and was made by Shaw-Walker.  The vinyl upholstery and maple arm rests had seen better days.

Nini from Home Anthology consulted with me on fabric choices.  We tried a bunch of different things that were nice enough, but when she put this Eames “Small Dot” fabric next to the metal and wood, we both went, “Aaah!”

Disassembly was easy enough with a screwdriver and socket wrench.

The arm rests were really beat up!  Worn finish, scratches, grime.

Lots of sanding and a couple of coats of polyurethane later, they are lookin’ good.

The aluminum frame had both grime and some dark gray discoloration.  The grime cleaned off but the discoloration will need more multiple buffing with compounds, so I left it.

The aluminum had a beautiful smooth gloss when cleaned up.

I especially loved the back detail on the frame.

This entry was posted in Eames, mid-century modern, mid-century modern office furniture and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to vintage Shaw-Walker office chair

1. Lisa Sullivan says:

Wow that Shaw Walkewr chair refinished wonderfully. I have 2 model 579 the leather seats are destroyed and I am searching for someone to redo them for me. It was funny because my mom thought they were junk and I insited that I loved how well they were made after a litlle research I found out that they were some time and care. Thanks for all the pictures.

2. Johnny says:

Nice restoration job on the Shaw-Walker chair!

3. sheri says:

what products did you use to restore the aluminum?

It was several years ago and I can’t remember exactly but it was probably just #0000 steel wool and a light oil which I wiped off completely.

Some aluminum gets really corroded, though. I’ve had other pieces that I had to sand with 320-600 grit emory paper. Oil always helps as a lubricant; it minimizes marks left by the abrasive paper. You can also try Mother’s brand polish for aluminum and mag (?) wheels. Auto supply stores will have it. I thought about using a buffing attachment on an electric drill but never got around to trying it.

Also, some aluminum chair frames were lacquered. This looks like a yellowed finish, sometimes pitted or flaking. It will come off with acetone or lacquer thinner. #0000 steel wool speeds up the process.

• sheri says:

Thanks for the the info. I am using steel wool #0000 with a polish called noxin 7. When you restored the wood what grid sandpaper did you use and did you use a stain or just clear coat?

Anytime you sand, you should start with coarser grit and move step by step to a fine grit, like at least 220. The coarsest grit removes the top layer of wood and all the sanding you do after that is just to remove the marks from the sandpaper. If you start with too fine a grit, you’ll just gum up the sandpaper with crud and it won’t do the job properly.

I did this chair a long time ago so I’m not positive what finish I used but it was most likely Min-Wax Rub-on Polyurethane. It’s easy to use and you don’t have to clean any brushes after applying because you just use a folded cloth. I did not use any stain. I prefer the natural color of whatever wood it is.

4. Homer Lynn says:

Have a 2000 series Shaw Walker Dalante desk chair. Could you help me by showing me how to adjust the height as there are bo handles to di this. Thank you any help you may provide.

I’m sorry, I only ever had that one in my possession and I don’t remember any of the non-upholstery aspects of it at this point. Try asking in the repair section of the forum on DesignAddict.com. I know there are Shaw Walker collectors and some may be reading that board. Good luck.

5. Tara says:

I know this is a long shot. I ended up here looking for someone who could help me figure out the best way to oil a squeaky Shaw Walker chair. Any advice?

6. MCR says:

I worked on the one above more than five years ago and don’t remember much about it. I would start by flipping it over and lubricating all points where metal meets metal. You may need grease rather than oil. Maybe it’s more complicated than that, though.