Teak and beech chairs, Made in Sweden 10K-90

Sweden10K-90 1I got a set of six of these handsome Swedish chairs about four years ago and in all that time I never took a ‘before’ photo of them!  The seats were shot and the original lacquer finish was badly chipped and scuffed.  The legs on some of them were discolored from standing in water.  They had to be refinished completely.

Sweden10K-90 2I’ve researched the design at various times and have never found any information on the manufacturer or designer, if there even was an individual who came up with the design.  It seems to be a somewhat rare chair.  I’m guessing it dates to the 50s but I don’t know for sure.

Sweden10K-90 5The frames are solid beech; the backrests are teak-veneered plywood.  Very Scandinavian!

Sweden10K-90 4I love the sides.

Sweden10K-90 3There are two armchairs and four side chairs.

Thank you to Home Anthology for allowing me to take photos at their store.

18 Responses to Teak and beech chairs, Made in Sweden 10K-90

1. Those turned out gorgeous! But it’s a little evil of you to send me to the Home Anthology site, since I will now be drooling over all that fabulous MCM stuff they have.

2. Nate Clark says:

Whoa. Really nice! Just found your blog as I am about to restore a Hans Olsen chair. Great site!

3. Amber says:

While researching how to fix up my newly acquired chair, I found this post. I have the exact chair! I’ll be returning to check my work against yours.

4. Moya Gray says:

I have 5 of these chairs with the same markings on the bottom rail. I have been trying to find the provenance of these chairs. Min have heard from Carl Hansen and sons they are not Heans Wegner

If anyone has information about these chairs Imwould be grateful.

They’re definitely not a Hans Wegner design. I’ve never found any information about them that names a specific designer. They might have been the work of several in-house designers working together. We may never know.

5. Scott says:

Hi,
    I’ve got three of these chairs that I want to sell but, like you, I can’t find any info on them. Have you managed to find out anything else? Do you have any idea what they might sell for?
    Thanks for any info
    Scott

I have never found any other background info information on these chairs. I see an online listing for some every few months but so far no one seems to know anything.

Three chairs generally don’t sell as well as a set of four, or even better, a set of six. Other than that, the price will depend on condition and the market in your particular area. I consigned mine to a shop that specializes in mid-century modern but I don’t remember the price they put on the set (it was awhile ago). They sold in 6-8 weeks, I think. Good luck with yours.

6. schuyler says:

do you do restorations for other people? if so, what do you charge?
    I have 2 wegner style side/dining chairs, made in Sweden that need the rope seat replaced.

thanks!

7. Anne says:

Hi there,
    I recently found a set of these same chairs being sold in my area along with a Skovmand & Andersen table. I’m trying to figure out what kind they are and possibly what they are worth so I pay a fair price. They are a set of six and look to be in excellent condition.
    Thanks in advance!
    Anne

• David Oneil says:

Hey Anne, did you buy these chairs. I have 3 and would like more. Thanks

David,
        Anne probably won’t see your query unless she happens to check here regularly for responses, which doesn’t seem likely. I suggest you keep an eye on Ebay listings and your local Craigslist. You can set up daily searches with email notification when something shows up. Use search words that you think sellers might use in their listing titles. You might want to do several different searches and be prepared to wade through listings of things that aren’t at all what you want. The chairs are out there, they’re just a pain to find because the manufacturer is not known and I think the marks are covered by the paper cord and aren’t in most descriptions. Good luck.

8. MCR says:

I don’t do evaluations simply because I don’t track the value of furniture and I don’t sell it for a living. I’m really not the one to ask—sorry!

9. AZ says:

I love the look of these chairs! If you wouldn’t mind sharing, where online do you see listings for this beauty? Also, if you ever do a post on how to refinish these chairs (or Danish/Swedish/mcm chairs in general), I’d be stoked, rapt, and grateful.

I don’t routinely look for chairs for sale online but they’re out there: ebay, etsy, craigslist, and numerous other sites are all sources worth keeping an eye on. You have to work at it, though. You have to do multiple keyword searches daily because good stuff gets snapped up. You should consider buying one or two at a time as you find them, rather than holding out for a set of six.

One of my more recent posts on this blog is about how to clean and oil teak furniture. You might find it helpful.

• AZ says:

Thanks for the tips!

I have read your post on how to clean the chairs! In fact, I’ve tried that on a couple of pieces recently and got amazing results. That actually got me wondering if I can improve them even more by refinishing them. Hence my interest in refinishing. 🙂

The process I described is for teak that was originally finished with oil, which is most Scandinavian-made teak furniture. Teak and teak-look furniture from other countries often have a lacquer finish. Some things are made of lighter wood species and then finished with tinted lacquer or varnish to make them look like a more expensive wood.

There are a lot of variables in furniture finishes and what’s worth refinishing. I deal mostly with Scandinavian pieces made of teak and am not really interested in going into all the other permutations out there, but I’m sure there are plenty of other informative sites and books on the subject. Best of luck to you.