Wegner CH25 woven chair

This Wegner CH25 chair had the usual broken strands that come with age and use.  It also arrived in pieces but a competent repairman took care of those issues, leaving me free to weave.  And weave.  And weave…!

CH25-1  CH25-3The variation in weave on the back is there to hide the knots.

CH25-2The slots at the top and bottom (not shown) enable you to continue the weave pattern in front while doing the variation in back.  Very clever!

CH25-4I never get tired of woven paper cord.  It’s so beautiful.

This entry was posted in Danish chairs, mid-century modern, Woven Danish paper cord and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Wegner CH25 woven chair

1. Matt says:

The chair looks terrific, as always. You mentioned in the comments for a previous project that you used Murphy’s and fine steel wool for deep cleaning. I am wondering if you are still using it for your projects that require cleaning. Or have you moved onto something else? Thanks for the great blog!

Matt,
      There aren’t too many things that require something as drastic as Murphy’s Oil Soap. It removes grime really well but it also takes off an oil finish completely. I might use it on something that is absolutely black with built-up grime, but I think most of the time a good teak oil and #0000 steel wool will loosen and remove dirt without drying the wood at all.

Some people advise cleaning with mineral spirits but I don’t think that cuts dirt quite as well as oil does, plus it can be drying. I use Star-Brite brand teak oil (Ace Hardware stores carry it)—it has less solvents than most brands and I believe no varnish at all.

• Matt says:

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I’ll save the Murphy’s Oil Soap treatment for only the really bad parts. Also, thanks for the Star-Brite recommendation. It’s nice to see that the issue of teak oil+finisher and ‘plain’ teak oil is finally getting some visibility and clearly defined discussion. For whatever the reasons, concise information about its importance had been unattainable, confusing, or altogether missing from my side of cyberspace. It’s a good thing that I never got around to using the Watco Teak Oil that I had purchased several months ago for one of my projects. I have you to thank for showing me the light!

One more thing and I’ll spot being a pest. Do you have any experience with sea grass cord? The reason I ask is because I’m trying to locate some and have been having a very difficult time finding it in a high enough quality. Evidently, sea grass cordage was one a completely different level back in the day. I have a set of Mogensen chairs featuring the stuff; despite the fact that the stuff needs to be replaced, its quality is quite discernible. I’ve searched high and low for sea grass that is comparable, but with no luck. The stuff is easily obtainable online, however the quality is awful and wouldn’t be suitable for a doormat. I’ve already burned close to one hundred dollars ‘sampling’ it from a couple of vendors.

First, try asking for a free sample of seagrass before spending $$ for a full roll and shipping—I think most places will oblige.

That said, I’ve only woven chair with this stuff once and it was 5-6 years ago. I got mine from Frank’s Cane & Rush and was pleased enough with the quality. They used to sell it in a bunch of different diameters. It is rougher than what you would see on a vintage chair because a lot of the little fibers get smoothed away with use. Also, joins are typical as far as I know.

2. Brandy says:

Lovely! Thanks for posting. Always good to find other Caners out there. If you don’t mind I have a few questions, as I have one if these lovelies in my shop at present. Will be happy to pay you for your time. Brandy 828-707-4553

3. Aaron says:

I have a CH-25 I am about to restore at home, this one looks fantastic! Did you use teak oil on the oak frame? I want to get the lowest sheen oil finish possible but have been put off using teak oil after hearing it takes days to dry between coats.

thanks for advice you can offer

You should always do the same finish as was on the chair originally, if possible. I’m not sure how these were finished originally—I think some were oiled but they may have also come with a soap finish. This particular chair didn’t need any work on the finish.

The teak oil I use (mentioned above in the comments) does not take days to dry. It is very low sheen. Varnish is what gives the sheen, I think, and this brand has no varnish. I wipe it on, let it sit 5 minutes, then wipe it off. After 20-30 minutes minimum I buff it one more time, then it’s ready for weaving.

4. Deb Bolger says:

I have inherited a chair with paper cording that needs repairing. I want to do it myself. Do you have a good source for buying Danish paper cord.

You can google this—buy from sources selling “authentic” Danish cord. I don’t think it’s actually made in Denmark but the samples I’ve seen are the same diameter and density as on old Danish chairs. There are a number of places that sell it online.

5. takahisa says:

I have made ​​the furniture in Japan .
    I’m also knitting sort of paper code .

the ch-25 I was knitting twice .
    When as usual knit tightly the backrest , frame has ended up awry . The entire chair was will be distorted .

The second time , I was knitting a little loose vertical knitting .
    Then , it was not filled the top of the line of weft knitted , was appeared gap there .

What has been careful in your knitting weft without gaps ?

I hope you’ll understand.

I weave fairly tightly so I don’t think that that’s what’s causing your weaving to be distorted. Are the joints of the frame glued tightly?

The vertical strands should not have much slack (looseness). They don’t have to be very taut. If you pull them until they look straight instead of wavy and loose, that will about the right amount of tension.

This is very hard to explain in words. It would probably best if you can find someone in your area who does this for a living and ask if you can watch him or her work. Good luck!