Restyled Overman egg chair and ottoman

This Overman lounge and ottoman didn’t start out this way in the 70s.

Originally it was covered in tan vinyl with an overstuffed tan corduroy cushion that had a lot of button tufting.  The corduroy part was gone by the time I took the “before” photos.

Overman chairs have a base form of molded Styrofoam, which made their organic forms easy to produce and also makes them very light in weight.  They are surprisingly stable, however.

The ottoman has a bit of the corduroy left.

I hand stitched the new fabric to get the lines just right.  The fabric is Knoll’s Classic Boucle in Crimson.

See how that vertical seam is wavy ?   The seam allowances flip one way, then the other, then back again under the vinyl.  That’s why it doesn’t lie flat and smooth.

I cut the back fabric of one whole piece so there are no side seams.  (The inside is all one piece too.)

The corduroy cushion covered the armrests on the original.

I added foam padding on the inside of the chair to replace that of the overstuffed cushion, then did one curving seam all around the perimeter of the chair.  It is entirely hand stitched as on an Arne Jacobsen Egg chair.

Chair and ottoman are currently available at Home Anthology in Catonsville, MD.  UPDATE April 22:  Sold!  That was quick.

This entry was posted in mid-century modern, Overman chair and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Restyled Overman egg chair and ottoman

1. Daniel says:

We have a black chair and ottoman like this, in need of restoration. Its missing one of the plastic feet that fit into the star leg base. (The rest are kind of shady too). Any idea where we could find replacements for these feet? Thanks!

I get this question a lot but unfortunately I don’t know of a source. If it were my chair, I’d consider cutting some new ones out of black rubber or neoprene.

• Shaun Carvelli says:

These Feet / glides will be available mid July. Feel free to contact me for further info at my email address. Please provide a photo of the feet to make sure that they are for the same style Pod chair.

Shaun,
        Please email me at info@modernchairrestoration.com with complete ordering information when you have the feet and I’ll put it on my blog since a lot of people come here looking for them. Thanks.

• Mod Emotions says:

Please let me know when you have overman glides? Thanks

• monika says:

did you ever get the glides? I dont see them on your site. Thank you

I have never stocked Overman feet (I don’t stock any parts). All I had was a link to someone who was selling new production feet on Etsy. Unfortunately that person isn’t selling them anymore, I guess. I went to buy some for myself and and the account was gone! I haven’t looked for other sources in awhile so maybe there is one that I don’t know about.

2. Rick says:

We bought a really beaten up Overman chair for $10 a few years back. The frame is stable but the vinyl is falling off. We thought about having it professionally reupholstered but we can’t afford it. I was hoping to find some videos on-line about reupholstering molded Styrofoam chairs, but I haven’t had any luck. Are there any sites that you might recommend? Also how did you apply the fabric on the back? Was it stapled to the foam first? Thanks.

Rick,
      These originally had heavy chipboard tacking strips anchored to th foam with inch-long heavy duty staples. Regular staples pull right out of the styrofoam.

You also can’t use conventional spray adhesive to adhere urethane foam padding to the styrofoam because it will dissolve the styro.
      There is an adhesive made for styrofoam but it doesn’t hold very well.

I upholstered the inside of the chair first, then hand stitched back fabric to the perimeter of this.

It’s not an easy job. Good luck!

3. Paulina says:

Hi!

I have the exact Overman recliner, as well as the ottoman. I’ve stripped down the tufting and most of the padding, since it was in really bad shape. I can’t afford to have it reupholstered professionally so I thought I’d tackle it myself’. I don’t have much experience, and this chair is a funky shape to cover in fabric! I came across your post while trying to do research to help me started. My biggest struggle is I have no idea what shape/forms the fabric needs to be on such a round curvy surface, to cover it without excessive folds. Do you happen to have some scetches or templates that would give me an idea? Any advice would be a huge help. Thank You!

Just drape it onto the chair from the bolt and smooth it in place. You will have to do a fair amount of tugging and stretching on the inside back and arms, especially where the fabric curves over the arms. You MUST use a fabric with some give to it. It doesn’t have to be a knit but it can’t be anything stiff and unyielding. Knoll Classic Boucle works well.

You only get one chance to get the inside back fabric glued in place correctly. When you are satisfied with how it lays, fold one half back top to bottom and apply heavy duty spray adhesive to both sides in a strip about 8″ wide. Smooth the fabric onto the foam very carefully, avoiding any ripples or creases. Once it’s down, it’s hard to reposition it without tearing the foam back up with the fabric. (Side note: make sure the glue doesn’t bleed through the particular fabric you’ve chosen.)

Repeat that process until the inside back is done. The outside back does not have to be glued in place.

This is really not a good project for a beginner. It’s extremely painstaking and the margin for error is very slim. The hand stitching off the perimeter is also difficult at best. Good luck!

You do have to do two big tucks on the outside back